#2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

tee hee, I'm getting to be an activist in my old age. I just sent email to CNN

Just a quick note. I see/hear some of the sound bites from Dr. Gupta regarding the High Protein diets which have gotten very popular recently.

"CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta has similar concerns. "These diets are low in fiber, which could be a problem in the long run," he said."

I'd like to point out to Dr. Gupta that there's as much possibility of filling up on high fiber, low-carb meals on the Atkin's diet as there is on any high-carb diet. The vegetables and grains and nuts one consumes while following low-carb are much higher fiber than the rice, pasta and potatoes I used to eat on my old high-carb diet.

And the new low-carb alternatives for bread, crackers, waffles, cereal and even ice cream have lots of dietary fiber added to them to make up for the lack of flour content. My system is probably reeling from the amount of omega-3's I'm getting from nuts, nut flours and flax seed meal that is used in low-carb cooking.

I routinely eat an enormous salad filled with low-carb veggies, stir fry with veggies and chicken and instead of eating rice, I serve it over steamed broccoli or cauliflower.

Face it folks, people make lousy choices when it comes to eating at times, regardless of whether it is low-carb or high-carb. I remember that the word on the street back in the 80's was, "if it doesn't have fat, you can eat it!". All the nutrition experts of the time were encouraging everyone to stop eating meat and eat more pasta and pototoes. And I gained a ton of weight following those precepts. Probably inched myself nearer to becoming diabetic as well.

At least the advantage with low-carb is that I don't have the constant need to feed that I did back on the old high-carb diet. And suprisingly, my cholesterol numbers are better now.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we Atkin's dieters are not a bunch of undisciplined fad followers. I've been on Atkins for almost a year. Never found a diet so incredibly easy to follow and had so few cravings or even desires to cheat while on this diet.

It might not be for everyone, but I would say I've finally found a way of eating I could stick to for the rest of my life.

Nancy Milligan

Note: Uh oh... when I pasted this here I realized I left out the "not" in front of "a bunch of undisciplined". Oh dear.