View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:06

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Money Saving Tips

Foody started a thread about this WOE being so expensive (wondering what to say to people who make that remark). There were some good suggestions in that thread, but I thought it would be great to have a thread directed specifically at ways to save money.

Some of my favorites (many of them holdovers from my pre-Atkins days, when I was still pretty frugal):

Never pay full price for meat. Meat is the most expensive item in my cart, so I buy what's on sale and make that work. Rarely will I pay more than $2 per pound for meat.

Stay away from convenience foods. This especially goes for LC convenience foods as they are still SO expensive.

Buy fresh fruit and veggies that are in season. How do you know what's in season? They're often on sale. Notice that strawberries do not generally go on sale in February.

Here are some other tips:
Chicken quarters are very inexpensive, 29 cents a pound on sale. You can't get much cheaper than that.

Pork steaks are another inexpensive cut of meat, about $1 per pound on sale. And because they're fairly high in fat, they're good for us and tasty.

Go generic when possible.

Stock up when the price is extra good (only on stuff you WILL use, though). I don't know how much my chest freezer has saved me, but I know it's a lot. Plus, when you have a freezer full of food, it helps you get through the lean times.

When buying frozen veggies, buy plain. Notice how much they charge for any sauce they add.

Find your local Aldi, Save-A-Lot, etc., and USE IT.

I will add more as I think of them, but I'm sure you all have some great ideas too.
Sponsored Links