View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lots of people misuse diets and then blame their failure on the diet, rather than on their failure to eat properly or understand the diet. I don't think you can blame people eating low-carb snack foods and failing on the diet on the people making the foods. You'll always have people being ignorant or stupid. Creating low carb foods isn't going to affect that one way or another.

If the convience foods, shakes, protein bars weren't there, would they even attempt to try to limit their carbs? Would they be better off just staying on their old high carb junk food diets? Or is there some benefit to eating lower carb, even if they're making bad choices? I think there is some benefit.

Personally that kind of food doesn't appeal to me often because I truly enjoy eating my own style of low carb foods which include tons of veggies. Even if I could get an entire meal into something as tasty as a Snicker's bar, I really want a meal, not a candy bar for my meals!

But still, I'm delighted to foods being modified, like milk, crackers, waffles, breads, chips for low carb. I'm happy to see more interest in finding new alternatives to sugar, though I wish they'd find something better than sugar alcohols to mix with chocolate!

Some of these so called "frankenfood" ingredients, like I've already mentioned are nut flours, cauliflower (heard we might see a lowcarb french fry made of cauliflower), wheat proteins. Not exactly comparable to the pure glucose generating mess of flour in current snack foods. I think simply taking foods low carb is going to increase their protein and fiber content dramatically.

End user responsibility? You betcha. Although I found that eating the high carb snacks I just couldn't stop at a reasonable amount. I think that was my biology more than a lack of self-discipline. I don't have that problem with low carb snacks. Of course, when I did have that problem I simply stopped bringing that sort of food into the house.

I'm also afraid everyone is going to start pushing soy at us like mad and I have a lot of reservations about eating a lot of soy.

There, I just ate an big bowl full of salad with bell peppers, raw zuchinni, goat cheese, walnuts and had about a half dozen small low-carb crackers. The crackers are full of fiber, protein and have healthy fat in them. I enjoyed them, but something about the low-carb magic makes me not want to eat them all in one sitting.

I really hope one day I can find these crackers in a store rather than having to build them myself though.

BTW: Most baked foods won't contain aspartame because it doesn't withstand baking temperatures.