View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 15:11

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I fear that the influx of more and more LC convenience foods and LC alternatives to carby foods will eventually undermine the wide-spread acceptance of LC WOEs as being healthy or effective.

Let's face it - Most people beginning a diet don't read the books or do the research -- they go out on the web and look up a bit of how to and get started. And then they get the rest of their 'education' from companies that sell LC products.

There is a huge LC kiosk at my WalMart - piled high with every Frankenfood imaginable - and there is one of those benches nearby for those who need a break. I sat for 15 minutes and watched at least a dozen ladies (all definitely not at goal weight) pile their carts near half full of that garbage. I asked four about how long they had been LCing - all were on Atkins less than 3 months - 2 in induction

The bottom line is that these dieters are not going to lose eating Frankenfoods based on what has happened to those on this and other boards who have attempted to add large quantities of these foods during induction / OWL. This will begin to erode the idea that LC WOEs work in the public eye. The biggest reason LC WOEs have become popular isn't medical studies or magazine articles or TV publicity - it's the fact that people have seen results in someone they know. The LC WOEs will be deemed another fad diet that doesn't work when people begin to see lack of results in people they know because they are eating LC Frankenfoods.

I really wish Atkins would start pushing the whole food during induction and OWL idea, but I doubt they will as they are marketing a goodly portion of the Frankenfoods available today.