View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 11:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Yes almost all foods have sugar. The key is finding some with very little sugar. Read the nutritional facts and make sure the sugar grams are low. Then read the list of ingredients and see how many times sugar is listed, as well as how far down the list it occures.

Even most nitrite free organic lunch meats are packed with "organic dehydrated cane solids" or other forms of "organic sugar" I am lucky in that I found some that are sugar free, but they cost alot and since there are no preservatves they don't last as long. Try to stick more to fresh meats instead of convience ones. At delis ask to read the nutritional information on the package, they will usually hand it out to you with no problem. Many will print out lables listing ingredients for thier premade salads.

Even fresh meats can have sugar added. I was very disapoitned this Thanksgiving when I went to buy a turkey. Almost all had sugar and preservatives injected. I finaly found some free range chmical free at Safeway. Of course it was a ton more expencive

Read bacon lables carefully. Almost all are sugar cured. I can't find sugar free bacon here except for Jennio-O extra lean turkey bacon. I have heard others name SF brands though.

Read the lables on salad dressings and just try to find one that has sugar very low on the list. Goddess (not green goddess) dressing actually has no sweetners added. Also read mayo jars to make sure sugar is low on the list, or if you are more adventurous, make your own. It's very easy, but homade mayo doesn't last as long and requires constant refridgeration (no tuna salad in lonch boxes).