Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 10:39
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
The problem, in my opinion, is the message that is going out focuses too much on what NOT to eat and not enough on what TO eat.

Well said, Angeline. I think this was also a problem for the low-fat advocates. An 'honest' low-fat diet would include lots of low-fat fruits and vegetables, lots of whole grains, etc. I remember reading several articles from low-fat nutritionists trying to get the point across about the importance of whole foods. I don't think too many people heard them over the noise the food companies were making with their manufactured foods and their marketeers.

Lo-carb is in the same boat, here. The healthy whole foods we should be eating aren't going to make money for the food companies. Now that corp America is getting on board, they will start swamping the boat with all the manufactured products. As Kristine said, people will be duped into thinking these products are what low carb is all about.

We need a way to avoid the same trap the low-fat people fell into. We need to find a way to make it clear to everyday people that whole foods should be the backbone of the lo-carb diet. Manufactured foods have their place, but they should play backup to whole foods. How do we do this, though? Even Atkins Nutritionals is diving into the manufactured food business, so advocating whole foods would hurt their bottom line.