View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 01:26
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

(I haven't read this book in about 10 years, so maybe I shouldn't recommend it, but here goes . . . )

I had an eating disorder when I was in college. As part of my treatment (along with counseling and meds) my therapist recommended a book called Fat is a Feminist Issue. I found it very helpful. The main point (as I remember it) was that many women subconciously find security in being overweight. The weight helped them avoid the fear and uncertainly associated with sexual issues, feeling attractive, etc. Not to say that overweight women don't have sex lives and men won't still leer at them or whatever -- but the women felt that was the case, so it became true for them. The weight was their cover story for avoiding intimacy and a host of other issues.

I was actually just talking about this with someone else on this forum a couple of weeks ago. I'm afraid that I'm starting to sabotage myself and I think I'm going to drag that book out again and read it.

So that may or may not be something you're interested in reading, but I thought I'd throw it out there.