View Single Post
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 01:07
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I have had a few similar experiences that I chalk up to people not getting it. For example, on my 2nd day of Induction I went over to my Dad's house for dinner. Before I came over, he asked me what I wanted. I said, "Well I just started Atkins, so just meat and vegetables, I guess." He assured me that his girlfriend had just restarted Induction also and would make us an "Atkins dinner." (They have both been on and off the diet several times.) Naively, I did not bring any back-up food. They live about an hour away and once I got there it took a while before we were ready to eat. I was starving.

As I walked out on the deck to the table, there was a bottle of KC Masterpiece next to the grill! I said, "Dad, you didn't use this, did you?" and proceeded to tell him it was full of sugar, etc. He and his girlfriend both looked at me as if I were insane and said they "didn't worry about things like that." Girlfriend actually said, "Don't be so worried. You'll see, it's easy to lose weight on this diet. We just avoid obvious things like bread and rice."

Yes, I ate the chicken. I was too hungry to pass it up. And yes, I still lost plenty of weight my first week. But I learned not to trust people who say they're doing Atkins too.

On the flip side, two of my close friends (a married couple) have recently started trying to sabatoge me all the time. Obvious things that they think are funny, like bringing a huge crusty loaf of sourdough bread to our house when they came for dinner and setting it on the table next to me. I've been on this plan since the end of July. They know full well what the rules are and used to be supportive. They are both heavy and the husband tried Atkins (incorrectly) several years ago and had a bad experience. He's made several jealous-type comments and I think they're trying to knock me down because I'm so close to goal. It pisses me off. I tried to call them on it, but they said they were just joking.