View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 22:47

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, my name is Eva, and I am a “religious LC" runner.

I do not think everybody should follow this religion, but many of us can see the advantage of it.

The reason the same as for Meg – quote: from her: “The idea behind "religious" low carb hiking has more to do with having more energy and stamina than ever before than with weight loss. Why eat a "rounded" snack when I know it will adversely affect my performance? The advantage lies in how your body feels and works. “

I have just finished my third half Marthon with an under 2 hours time with only 20 carbs intake. Without bonking, loosing energy. I was so energized, that at mile 10 I could speed up – finishing with a 3 mile sprint.

Nancy has a very good point – quote: “With LC you should be burning stored fat rather than blood glucose so you really shouldn't be having the energy drops you'd have if you were eating a typical high-carb diet (remember carb loading??? Tee hee).”

And I agree with alaskaman, you need time and discipline to teach your body. I was lucky, had more than enough time. As a beginner runner my legs were sensitive, it took 3 months before I could run 30 min. I always started to run with empty stomach. As my distance increased, my body step by step learned not only to use fat as fuel, but to start this burning earlier and earlier.

My main activity is running, but every other month I have a hike. My question for the hikers. Is high altitude (over 8000) makes any difference? Or the same food you recommended apply there too?