View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 14:28

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

I think it's kind of a double-edged sword. Just as I don't want someone telling me what I'm doing is wrong or unhealthy, I don't think it's necessarily the "right" thing to do to tell someone that their chosen way of life is wrong. You would have to have lived in a cave for the last five years to not hear some sort of program or report on how obesity is unhealthy, so I don't think giving unsolicited advice or commentary is going to make someone suddenly change. More likely, it will make him or her defensive.

However, I think that, oftentimes, the "Big is Beautiful" people or the Fat Acceptance groups are using the "big is beautiful" argument because they've really resigned themselves to being overweight. I'm not aware of any cases where someone has purposely made themselves obese because they think that being fat is a benchmark of beauty.

I agree, self confidence no matter what your physical appearance is vital. However, many times the "big is beautiful" argument feels/sounds more like forced self confidence.

When I used to call myself a BBW, I know I didn't really mean it. Besides, I think that not having knee pain, being able to walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing, not being forced to by dowdy clothes at outrageously priced specialty stores and not being afraid I'm going to have a heart attack at any moment are much more beautiful.