#13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 14:15
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry M: There are several comments I want to make about this post, since there are so many misconceptions running around about women and weight training.

First, there is no such thing as "toning" . In any body part, there is bone, fat, muscle, and assorted tendons and ligaments. What you are doing when lifting weights and dieting is decreasing fat and building muscle. "Toning" is muscle building, period. Now there is a big difference between steriod laden professional bodybuilders and someone who just looks athletic and fit, but they both do the same thing. The bodybuilder just puts in more effort over a longer period and accepts "chemical assistance".

Also, you DO need to have a progressive plan (ie increasing load) in order to build muscle. Lets say you can bicep curl 10 lbs. Five years from now, if you are still curling 10 lbs, you haven't gained ANY muscle. You have to give your body the signal "I'm being asked to do something new so I better build muscle and adapt" for it to build new tissue.

Remember the first time you did something new and you were sore as heck the next day? And the next time you did the same thing you weren't so sore? Your body ADAPTED to the higher stress imposed on it by building new muscle.

And why can't a woman do a "mans" workout (actually there is no such distinction)? If you look at a cross section of a man's arm and a woman's arm, you see the SAME thing. They are just alike, and require the same stimulus to grow. The are only effective and in-effective workout programs.

Want to add more, but its time for lunch.....yum yum
There's no need to lecture me on intensity until you have trained with me or spotted me on a lift. Then I'll take all you can dish out. I agree with some of your ideas about lifting but I was trying to make the point that there can be more variations to lifting weights than just lifting at maximum capacity ALL of the time. I think as guys we have a tendency to think that if it works for us, it must work for females. Men and women ARE different.

Can a person tone their leg muscles by walking if they don't walk at maximum speed? I say yes the muscles will be more toned and firmer. I contend that depending on individual goals, weight training workouts can vary and that every workout does not have use maximum weights. Where is the all-mighty law that says ALL workouts MUST be at maximum intensity? I do however agree that the foundation of a good long-term training program is based on high intensity workouts doing basic lifts.

There is a huge difference between a body builder and a person just staying in shape. The training is completely different. Natural physical laws are changed, cheated and bypassed when steroids are used. Training rules, capacity, intensity, drive, and recovery times are changed. This takes lifters into a realm where the rules are different than the common lifter just staying in shape. I also contend that a lifter staying in shape may not benefit, nor could they benefit, from the same workouts as the bodybuilder simply because of steroids.

Here are some hypothetical questions that could happen in your lifetime. Some day, if you reach your muscle size goal (if there is a limit) how will you train then? Will you always use the absolute heaviest weight you can all the time at the same intensity? I know you like variety. What if you get board of training at the same intensity you have ALWAYS trained at? This intensity is a variable in workouts too you know. If you need to change workouts to keep your body adapting, don't you ALSO have to change that?

Do you think Arnold trains the same today as he did while he was Mr. Olympia? I know he still trains but his goals are different today. Besides do you think he really cares what people think about his lighter weights?

Any way, you are preaching to the choir here. My post had to do with women seeking advice from experienced trainers and being careful of the advice they get from just anyone.

Have a nice day.