Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/250/180 Female 5 ft. 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_Neener
My overweight son asked me how he could lose weight when I started to drop pounds. I told him I stopped eating flour and sugar and that's all it takes-not wanting to burden him with all the details of Atkins. He's 11 and gone from a huge pot belly to a flat belly in 5 months. He still has access to milk, whole wheat bread and fruit, but tends to watch what I eat and skip the rest. Some kids can and DO make decisions that benefit them-including skipping sugar. Some are just more motivated than others. AND some parents allow their kids to try to lose weight without fear of messing them up for life. It's just food if you keep emotion out of it. He's done this himself. I haven't forced him, or made an issue of it. I doubt he's in ketosis-he eats more maintence level carbs, but he looks great. He hasn't developed an eating disorder yet.

Your son sounds very similar to what was going on with my daughter. She wanted to change her eating habits along with us. She was as a matter of fact a big driving force in why we decided to begin this. We wanted to set a good example for our kid, when we began reading she began to want to read with us and ask questions. I was told that Ketosis was a bit risky for the kids and never inducted them. My daughter has never really wanted the sugar even when she was a baby. Always leaned on fruits and veggies alot. Her big thing along with myself was the breads, pasta and rice. I really find your posts inspiring. I would love to be able to do as good of a job as you complementing the lifestyle of LC'ing to your children. Great Job Mom!!

Lisa, thank you so much for the link. I am going to be logging off the forum tonight and printing this one out and reading it and discussing this with hubby and daughter. I am new to this and spoke to a nutrionist prior and just doing what I was told was appropriate. Thank you so much for the link.

Ozzysgirl, I don't know what made you think I don't value your opinion but if I did not hon, I would not acknowledge it. Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean anything. When you become a parent you tend to try to do the best for your child and I have to admit, I felt at first you accused me of not giving my kids enough of basic nutrition. I wish I had the time to post every aspect of my feelings and what is going on here, but I try to explain myself but I just cannot post all of what led us to this LC'ing..Let's just say my daughter has cried herself to sleep feeling she was fat, ugly and that she hated her fat body. I am desperately trying to do what I can to help her make healthy decisions and for her to know she is making them on her own. Long stor, lots of heartache....I wish you could see my daughter now, she is down 9 pounds, more active and smiling and feeling so good about herself with such a high sense of accomplishment. I wish all of us here the best of luck and I have no hard feelings about your opinions. This is a support forum..positive vibes.