View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I'v noticed after years of low carb that my body actually performs much better while hiking strenuously when I'm eating very low carb. I also feel that coconut oil makes a difference.

In Germany (generally the only times I do hikes longer than 3 hours) my typical trail food is a packet of cured sausages and L-Carnitine chewables...and if it's cool enough some kiri cheese. I can't get those things here though.

It seems there are two factors.. the attatchment to GORP and needing energy. Given time, you body will adjust to low carb and it will work very well for things like hiking, I love it because there is no initial "rough" period. It used to be that the first 20-50 mins of hiking were very hard until my body "kicked in" somehow and started to work. Now it works from the beginning, although it still feels like I gain energy/momentum as the hike progresses. I don't feel fatigued or the need to eat. 2 sausages the size of my middle finger will do it for a 5-6 hour strenuous hike. (take 1/2 hour for a break at a summit) Fat is at least as important as protein for sports like hiking, it is a better fuel. I think when you're coming up with a food for performance, the most importnat thing is the fat/protein ratios - which is why I would have nuts along with the jerky - rather than plain jerky, or pemmican or something.

As for the taste - if you are more concerned with taste than they body's quickest adaptation to low carb, then just go with higher carb alternatives (to sausage)

Make your own granola by baking oats moistened with butter and water, or maybe low carb maple syrup - sweetened w/ low carb brown sugar, add cinnamon etc. Or use Kashi as an alternative.
Add dried blueberries and some chopped low carb chocolate. It's a lot more expensive - but may have similar taste and texture to GORP.

Honestly, my best performance was hiking after a breakfast that was 1 dried sausage, and a drink: hot water, stevia, cocoa, a little cream and 2 tbs coconut oil. Not satisfying...but effective. Sadly it got to the point last time we were on a hiking trip I had to start avoiding breakfast at the bed and breakfasts we stayed a because it would make my hiking miserable to have delicious crunchy buns and musli and yogurt.

Physically it makes sense - fat is the most abundant fuel source, but in a lot of people (not low carb) it is difficult to reach. During periods of sustained exercise either you have to wait and suffer until you begin to burn fat...or you can keep feeding it sugar, and it will burn a mixture of both. If your body readily and easily burns fat, there should be a smooth transition between food fuel, and bodyfat fuel - you don't run out, you don't hit low points. At least that is what I THINK, based on personal experience.

Something I've made that tastes really good is:

you have to figure out the ratios for yourself because I didn't measure.

-a huge blob of natural crunchy peanut butter
-chopped or ground almonds
-plain whey protein (bought from allthewhey dot com, very cheap and good quality)
-splenda to sweeten
-variations: add coconut oil, or butter or some other fatty thing or if you have a fav. nut. For more carbs add some low carb chocolate, or something else that would taste good w/ peanut butter.

mix it all up until very stiff and dry, and form into bars, or balls. It makes a delicious protein bar - this is very high calorie! Many people (non low carbers) have commented on how good this tastes.