Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I read this article

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/conola.html

It seems to me, all the problems found with canola is when canola is used as the ONLY fat in the diet, and therefore there is an imbalance in fats. Since canola is so rich in omega 3s and contains no saturated fat, eating this as your only source of fat could be problematic. When saturated fat was added to the diets of the animals in addition to canola, all reported problems diminished.

Needless to say, we americans need not worry about consuming too many omega 3s so the findings of those studies aren't really applicable. The food industry raises animals on unnatural corn/grain feed, and the result is an imbalance of fats these animals produce. Corn raised animals have too much saturated fat and not enough unsaturates, especially omega 3s. Supplementing your diet with canola oil seems to me the more healthful thing to do since our food supply is deficient in the EFAs.

Remember people, there is someone out there who is afraid of EVERYTHING and more than happy to scare you about it. Just because someone says canola oil is bad for you doesn't mean it is... objectively examine the evidence presented (example: ask yourself are the side effects caused by the product itself, or a LACK of other food in company with the product), apply it in proper context to your diet, and draw your own conclusions.