Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:36

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Slim fast does NOT endorse low-carb.

In answer to a question about LC:
Quote:
Carbohydrates are part of a healthy diet. Health experts recommend that 45-65% of our daily calories come from carbohydrate, and the Slim-Fast Plan follows this premise for healthy dieting. The Slim-Fast Plan is not a "low carbohydrate" plan. but a plan that helps you control your total calorie intake. And bottom line, you must consumer fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight. Carbohydrates, fat and protein all contribute to calories. Following the advice of the American Dietetic Association, I suggest eating a balanced diet and a variety of foods, including foods containing carbohydrates. I would not "cut out" foods containing carbohydrate by any means, but control your portion sizes for weight control. In addition, I do recommend limiting your intake and portion sizes of non-nutritive foods, such as candy and baked goods (which contain carbohydrates but are low in nutrients), because you are feeding your body "empty calories." For optimal nutrition, you want to consume foods high in nutrients such as fruits, vegetables, milk, and whole grains so that the calories you are consuming are nutrient dense. Often the high protein, low carbohydrate diets may be missing in essential nutrients from milk, fruits, starchy vegetables, and grain products (the food groups which contain carbohydrates!) Also, high protein diets are usually high fat diets and long term intake of high fat diets have been associated with heart disease and certain types of cancers.

To lose weight, you want to lower your calorie intake and/or increase your activity level. Using the Slim·Fast Plan will help you control your calorie intake to lose weight, while providing you the good nutrition you need in the day to live healthier.

As near as I can figure, their "lower carb" plan uses the LC shakes, etc....but still high carb meals. One of the suggstions for lunch is a tuna sandwich. Of course, it's with lowfat mayo and 2 slices whole wheat bread. Total carbs for the day are around 143-201g/day....this is "my"mealplan. This is for weight loss, not maintenance.
Average totals for the days:
Calories: 1290
Fat: 38g, Saturated: 9, cholesterol 90mg
Sodium 1620mg
Carbs: 165, Fiber: 32, sugars: 53!
Protein: 86.

oh yea....want to know my snack? A graham cracker with LF cream cheese and a 2 1/2" square of chocolate. In their defense, they do suggest a lot of berries....but they are definitly NOT low carb