View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 01:43

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/249/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Thumbs up Misinformation by local news station averted!

Hello everyone; I just wanted to report on this happy incident here. It really shows that we *can* make a difference on a personal, individual level!

Earlier tonight, here in San Diego, Fox 6 TV news ran a couple bumpers (for lack of a better word) proclaiming vigorously "Atkins Changes The Rules! Tune in at 10 pm for the details on what you should be eating!"

This set off major red flags in my brain, and I hopped on the net to see what was up. An email waited in my inbox from Atkins.com (http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/...NotChanged.html) which vigorously refuted the F.U.D. going around right now about the "eat less steak" thing. I was indignant.

So...I ranted to my boyfriend for a while about how the media sucks, it's all sensationalism, how the low-fat deception is too well entrenched in the human psyche. Boyfriend recommended I call or email the TV station, which I declined to do since I felt that it would do absolutely ZERO good. I just had no faith whatsoever in the media.

So, boyfriend shoots off the following email to Fox 6:
To: Fox 6 News
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 8:42 PM
Subject: The Atkins story you are planning to report tonight is most likely
untrue.

(Source:) http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/...NotChanged.html

(Excerpt:) ""Make That Steak a Bit Smaller, Atkins Advises Today's Dieters," published in the January 18th edition of The New York Times--and the subsequent publicity--is yet another dramatically inappropriate example of the media reporting on the media and perpetuating a false report on Atkins. ..."

If you plan on going ahead with this untrue story, please report on "both
sides of the issue" and at least let the viewers know that Atkins denies the
story.

Well, the next bumper we heard about a half hour later was along the lines of "Has the Atkins diet really changed? More on this story at 10 pm." Needless to say, both my sweetie and I were stunned, but still a bit suspicious...but we found out shortly that it was true: the TV station had visited the Atkins.com site and read the "Atkins Has Not Changed" article, and completely reversed the content of their TV report on the Atkins diet! WOOHOO!!!

We received this reply back from Fox 6:
Sent: Mon 1/19/2004 8:58 PM
Subject: RE: Viewer Story Feedback

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will look into it
immediately. Please tune into Fox 6 News at 10:00 p.m. for the latest. I
promise we will bring you "both sides of the issue."

Thank you,
Christine Tanaka
Managing Editor
Fox 6 News

Now how cool is THAT?!

-- Nicky