View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 15:39

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%
Default We are all different

Everyone is different and what works for one will not necessarily work for others. For me food had become an enemy. I couldn't stop eating altogether but I couldn't control what I was eating or how much. At 56 I had a lot of years of being overweight and trying food plans.

A very good friend of mine who was also heavy forever lost 50 pounds on Adkins and is keeping it off easily. She inspired me to try the diet. I was not sure that it would work for me but what was one more try. I did not restrict portions, I just cut out the carbs. I found that I am addicted to them. If I leave them alone I don't even want them but if I get started on them; it is a nasty spiral downward.

I have eliminated nearly all high carb food from my house. I have found foods to replace all my old favorite foods. I spend a fair amount of time cooking and baking and I try very hard to always be prepared with foods that are "on plan". I have some foods that always set me off overeating--sugar, ice cream, yoghurt, candy, chips, potatoes, pretzels. I have sworn off these foods forever--they are just not worth it. I have tried small quantities of high carb food and find that I can have just a taste without a "jungle run" but I refuse to take chances with my few real trigger foods.

I make cheese chips, home made SF chocolate with nuts, cheesecake, frozen drinks, custard, mock potatoes, mock mac and cheese, and on and on--all stuff that tastes good and keeps me on plan.

Some people can eat small amounts of HC foods and go back to LC eating; I have to be very careful. It doesn't feel fair but I have to live with myself and I want to be in control of what I eat even more than I want to lose weight and be smaller.

Really look at how you react to food; think about what you really want. I personally cannot even imagine taking a chance on a jungle run for a cookie or french fries but ice cream and Dove chocolate really have to be memories for me.

This WOE is really doable but as a diet it has the same problem all diets have; when you go off the diet and back to eating as you did before, the weight comes back.

Best wishes on your journey. It really is worth it to get food under control.

Ann