View Single Post
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 20:23

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Carlsbad the (third) place where my dream has come true:-))

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!! Now we have a CERTIFICATE of our under 2 hours half Marathon time:-))))
(Last weekend on the Irvine half marathon we did not have individual chips to measure our time - we had to measure ourselves.)
This time we had official time (a little chip attached to our shoes, read by devices at start, at half time, at the finish).

1:59:29 (9:07 min/mile pace) - 16 sec less total time than in Irvine, last weekend, but it was a much faster run. Why? Here are the details, the split times:

1st mile: 10:23 - because of the huge crowd (4000+ runners/walkers) we hardly could even jog)
2nd mile 8:52
3rd mile 9:05
4th mile 9:01
5th mile 9:10
6th mile 8:56
7th mile 9:38 (includes a restroom break for DH)
8th mile 9:12
9th mile 9:27 (includes a restroom break for me)
10th mile 9:06
and here are the real surprise, the last 3 miles the FASTEST (do you remember the fairy tales about low carb, decreasing energy, bonking etc? During these last three miles nobody passed us, but we passed literally hundreds:-)))
11th mile 8:49
12th mile 8:27
13th mile 8:28

It means, that because of the time we wasted during the first mile, we had to run much faster than last time to be finish under 2 hours. (In Irvine, with much less runners, our first mile was 9:20)
According offical results I finished 50th from 248 in my age group.

Nutrition, carbs: one day before race : 80 carbs (I have been on maintenance since September)
one cup of Gatorade before race: 14 carbs
half cup of Ultimate at mile 10: 7 carbs
(Originally we planned more energy drinks, but contrary that they said, there was NO any between miles 5-9) It was VERY STUPID thing not to have our own drinks:-((( It seems it is not enough simply to check a course map for fuel stations, we need always a back-up plan.

I am very tired, more detail tomorrow:-))

P.S.: Meanwhile "officially" our Marine son migh be not a "low-carber" (who knows what is "low-carber" exactly?) but he finished the FULL marathon in 3:30 - with 1/4-1/5 amounts of carb than the "experts" recommend:-))))
Semper Fi/Fit!

Our after race pic in my gallery.