Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 19:57
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Oh, and as for understanding netcarbs.

Normally, it's very simple.

Total carbs - (indigestable) fiber = netcarbs.

In Europe fibers are normally subtracted from the carb figures shown on packages (and accounted for separately.) So we get the netcarbs served "automatically".

As I understand it, so far, in the US and Canada there are still no regulations to whether producers should subtract fibers before printing the carb content or not. There is apparently a trend towards doing it though.

Here's a thread that puts a spotlight on this confusion:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119733

-----------

As for the Atkins Endulge bar you needed netcarb account for, as I mentioned earlier, when it comes to sugar alcohol - it's another matter.

If you want to "play safe", make account for every single gram of carbs in that bar. Some people just "count 50% of the carbs" since sugar alcohols are incompletely digested. Atkins themselves have - as far as I remember it - chosen NOT to count these sugar alcohol carbs at all, claiming they don't affect the blood sugar (or something). It's still carbs though. Ugh... as I said, I just stay away from them. Too confusing...

Oh, and if you look at the first threads in this section, Karen has made a sticky called "Sticky: For Newbies - Carb Counting and Label Reading". She's probably explained it a whole lot better in that thread than fogheaded me.

/gil