#2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 19:19
Phoenixa

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hi Cathy!

I wouldn't recommend any "frankenfood" bars during Induction, but rather to try to keep Induction as clean as possible. These bars contain sugar alcohols which has proven to give lots of people trouble stalling/not losing weight/slowing down. (This board is full of discussions about it.) Most people use them as "lifesavers" on the road, on OWL or pre-maintenance.

Induction is supposed to be the period when you cut your sugar cravings. You might want to try to stay away from sugar-tasting stuff for that period, in order for this process to work better.

The sugar alcohols issue is also quite confusing, since they do contain carbs, which should be accounted for, but at the same time don't get fully absorbed by the body. It's also debated *how much* of the carbs should be accounted for. So I just make it simple - I stay away from them. (They cause indigestion problems too... try a search on "sugar alcohols" and you'll find plenty of threads about this. Oh, I did it for you... Here you go: http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.php?searchid=194845)

There is also a great article on sugar alcohols up at "Low Carb Tips" in the top orange bar on this site, for more (and better) info than what I'm able to give.

Cheers,

/gil