#73   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:58
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi, Bren -
Here's my advice for what it's worth. First take 10 deep breaths and as you breathe each one out, say "relax". Whenever you feel like everything is coming apart, do this.

Next, remember you're not alone! We're all here to help and we understand the things you're going thru. With everyone's help, you can make it thru.

Then, look at what you say to yourself. For example, are you saying "I'm such a failure, I can't do anything anymore" or something like that? Look at it more closely and ask yourself if it's really true. I'm willing to bet that it isn't. OK, some things may not be going as easily as the used to, but you are still the capable person you were before Christmas. All those nasty things running thru your head are just helping to convince yourself that you can't do what you want to do. The more you say these things to yourself, the more true they become. You don't have to "happy talk" yourself to death, just be more realistic and NICER to yourself.

Next, are you taking on too much at the moment? I don't know what else is going on in your life, so I'll just stick to the LC stuff. For example, I see in your sig that you're also doing the 100 Day Challenge of being cheat free. Maybe you want to cut down on one of these challenges. Sounds like you have enough challenges going on in your life right now. This does NOT mean you are failing!!!!! It only means that your life is throwing you some curves so you are making adjustments. That isn't 'failure', that is SMART. We all need to do this sometimes. What we sign up for in one month may not be suitable a month later. The smart move is to make changes before it becomes a bigger problem.

If I had to choose, I would drop the Cheat Free challenge because every time you cheat, you give yourself another opportunity to beat yourself up. Don't do this to yourself ... you don't deserve it. During the most stressfull times, you need to SUPPORT yourself, not set yourself up for self-recriminations. If you stick with the Valentine's Day Challenge, change your goal to simply weighing the same and giving yourself a chance to reset your emotions. We all need a 'step back and reset' period now and then.

Hope at least a little of this helps. BIG HUGS! WE ALL UNDERSTAND.