View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 12:43
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm sorry the people you work with feel that way -- it must make things difficult for you. You know, you don't have to tell people that you are on a lowcarb diet in order to explain why you don't want candy around. I'm not aware of any eating plan that advocates consuming candy as a way to improve health. I don't have any problems with candy sitting around -- I'm well past the cravings stage -- but I sometimes have people insist that I try something. I often just explain that I am concerned about my health and therefore I don't eat white sugar and white flour. It's hard for anyone, no matter what they think of Atkins, to argue that you really need white sugar and white flour.

My primary doctor doesn't "believe in" Atkins (I'm looking for a new one, but so far haven't been able to find a local doctor who has a reputation of being Atkins friendly). However, my gynecologist thinks that Atkins is great and her entire family (herself, husband, and daughter) have been following it.

The medical profession is probably much like the rest of society -- some medical professionals have made the paradigm shift from lowfat to lowcarb and others have not.