View Single Post
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 23:15

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Carlsbad - where the Marathon dream was born...

Two weeks ago we were celebrating the first anniversary of the start of my running program (see January 3 entry). When I started I did not have any race goal: simply wanted to fight back the first signs of aging.
Sunday at the start/finish line of the Carlsbad Marathon we are going to have another celebration. My dream, to be part of the marathon magic was born one year ago, 100 yards from the start/finish line of this same race.

We were sitting there with my husband, waiting for our son (he was running the full marathon). It was 10:30 AM – 3 hours after the start of the marathon, and 3 ½ hours after the start of the half marathon. The pro/master and fastest amateur marathoners already arrived, but still hundreds of half-marathoners were on the road. To finish this 13 miles course over 3 1/2 hours means mostly walk. No, it does not mean any less accomplishment, effort. It simply means a different way to overcome this obstacle. They arrived running, jogging, walking, limping, sweating, in solo, in couple, in family, in groups. Old, young, slim, curvy (in 4-40% BF range), healthy, ill – very diverse group, but with the same enthusiasm on their faces: “I DID IT!” Who cares about time, competition… They ALL DID IT. They all were part of the (half) marathon magic. The spectators were enthusiastic too (as I experienced on many other races) giving a cheer, shouting encouriging words, applauding even for the ones who hardly could walk. Oh my… How much I wanted to be among them! Sweating, limping, but finishing.

That was the moment, when my dream was born: "I want to be there, among them!” I turned to my husband, pointing to the finish line I told him: “Next year I will be there.” How typical – he immediately misunderstood me. “Why? What do you want there?” Ok, ok – I can not blame him. A 46 year old wife who can not run more than 100 yard want to be WHERE?

Two days later I registered for an half marathon. 2 weeks later my husband joined to my running program, and registered too. In October we finished our first half marathon, in 2:13, with no walk, then last week our second, in 1:59:45.

On Sunday "I WILL BE THERE!" at the start/finsih line of the Carlsbad marathon. This time to run a half marathon, but I will be back for the marathon :-)))

Dare to dream… and your dream might come true?