View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 10:07

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

It is very significant that this article says nothing about the increased fat content of these chips.

There are only two ways to decrease carbs in a food product. Replace it with fat, of some kind, or replace it with sugar alcohols.

In the case of chips, it has to be fat that is increased, as there is little room for sweetners. The carbs are reported to go from 17 to 6, right? Plus 2 or 3 grams of fiber?

So, that leaves room for roughly 8 or 9 grams of fat, and therefore the caloric density of this chip is going to be much higher than the regular chips. Maybe they will be more satisfying, but given the nature of chip eating, I suspect lots of folks will pile on more fat when eating these chips, and it is this kind of product that will kill the effectiveness of the low carb WOL, at least in the mass marketing sense.

I hope that the Atkins Revolution can weather this development, but I have serious fears.

Best thing we could do is boycott these frankenfood products which claim to be low carb, but which actually undermine the success of LC WOL. Just my opinion, of course.