View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 14:41

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 178/159.2/131 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default the ethnic dilema

I have been low carbing on an off for over a year now, and I have found that one of my biggest barriers is family. My family is just not supportive of the low-carb lifestyle. I live in a very italian family, and food is a huge part of our interaction here. So this year I am working to ignore the lack of family support, and work on myself.

But recently it occured to me how ethnic we eat in our house. Sometimes I forget because I am emmersed in it, It is not until I have company over and offer them something to eat -- do I get funny looks! I am curious if anyone else has encoutered this - I have family from Italy, and italians who live here are almost competitive on how authentic the food is, how good a bakery is, how one restaurant makes something different than another. Its like anytime food is brought in the house it is inspected and judged. Let's face it -- a low carb ethnic subtitute is not going to be accepted. So I was wondering if any of you low carbers who live in very ethnic families have had problems with the family accepting your new lifestyle? And also... do you have any good recipies!?!
Sponsored Links