View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 11:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I think with low-carbing, theres less of a need to worry about accuracy of labels.

First, sure, there will be some manufacturers who falsify labels, and some chains fudging the numbers or misleading customers, like the KFC ads. But those will be caught quickly. And with the rise of the low-carb trends, such scandels will make chains and manufacturers think twice before they do it again.

Second, low-fat dieting is hard to pin point on a menu. Everyone can claim it's low-fat this or that, as long as they trim some fats off. But with low-carbing, the guide is usually by the number of grams of carbs and fiber. If they don't list that, no one can tell if it's low-carb or not.

The only trend that bothers me is repackaging low-fat products as low-carb. Some bakeries specializing in low-fat, low-calorie bread, are just re-packaging the same cr*p as low-carb. So you end up with low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie bread, and they consider that "even better". But you end up being cheated of healthy fats, good taste, and you pay more for it.

I much prefer a change of perspective, where a product, such as low-carb bread, would be made specifically for low-carbers, who don't mind the natural fat, nor the healthy cholesterol in it. In essence, I'm waiting for the day manufacurers do it, and get it, that fats are healthy, and there's no need for all their patented defattening technologies to hydroginate the cr*p out of natural food.

While I don't use much low-carb products, I'd love to be able to walk through the supermarket, and see low-carb products replacing all the slim-fast, WW junk shoved in my face all the time, or "educating" me on bad fats are, and how such and such lobby recommends I eat sugar and reduce fat for "a better health".

Low-carb products should eventually be a lot cheaper than low-fat products, as there nothing unnatural to do to them, and not much processing is needed. When they becomes a mass market products, you will pay a lot less for them than low-fat products. You'll be able to grab a low-carb meal from any restaurant, or even from the grocery store, when you don't have the time to cook.

I'm looking forward to it.

Wa'il