View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's a wonderful idea... I feel so badly for them, really my heart aches... I wish I could help them. If you are going to start a pot to pay for books I will definitely contribute what I can.

This part made me so sad:
Quote:
Her third-grader, a pretty child with glossy black hair who likes to read when she isn't playing with her cat, already has diabetes. Her mother helps her monitor her blood sugar and is teaching her about choosing healthy foods, although she admits it's hard. When sweets are sometimes given out at school, her daughter gets a toy instead. "I tell her the cookies are gone, but you've still got the toy," her mother says.

Although researchers are still searching for the genes that cause diabetes in many Pima families, they say that cutting fat in the diet and exercising are the best ways yet known to prevent diabetes and modify its long-term effects.

"What I really want to do is change the way we eat here," the woman explains, referring to fried foods and the tacos the family loves. She knows that eating less sugar and fat is important for her family's health. "They say if you bake or broil, it's supposed to be better, and I've been trying to do that lately." Meanwhile, her mother's caring message seems to be having an effect on her daughter. Her favorite dessert is bananas.

This upsets and saddens me SO much. They are trying so hard, but they just don't have the information. That poor 8 year old girl has such a high predisposition to diabetes that she already has it, and they are giving her bananas! Bananas, one of the worst fruits you could possibly eat for diabetes... it has a moderate GI AND is absolutely loaded with sugar (20 grams).