View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ah, don't let the scaremongerers bother you. Splenda shouldn't be consumed all the time but in moderation it is harmless. I would say splenda is more healthful than real sugar, especially for people with weight problems (insulin and blood sugar disturbances).

now to disprove most of this bunk...

1) quote: "(Splenda) is a chlorocarbon"
Wow chlorocarbon... that sure sounds intimidating doesn't it? We're eating bleach omg! Guess what, the molecules of chlorine used in splenda are almost identical to the ones in table salt.

2) quote: "that the testing of
sucralose reveals that it can cause up to 40 percent shrinkage of the thymus"
... because the lab animals were only eating only sucralose and essentially starving, not because of the sucralose. The starvation caused or exacerbated almost all of those symptoms, and besides, considering the insanely high dosages they were fed those sideeffects all sound pretty darn mild to me.

3) quote: "Absolutely not. No sugar molecule is compounded with chlorine anywhere in nature."
There are a lot of things which are beneficial to humans that are not found in nature. Just because this substance is unnatural doesn't necessarily mean it is deletarious to our health.

4) quote: "People need to stop searching for excuses to eat all the junk food they want without penalty.
In the long run, no one benefits from this product but the corporations. "

So now you know what's best for me? First of all, if I want to occasionally indulge in a sugar free sucralose sweetened product, I WILL and it is my right. Hell even if i want to gorge on them, that is my right too. Who are you to say I am too stupid to decide what is good for me, and that I am only benefiting corporations? Hello, I am also enjoying myself by indulging my sweet tooth... I consider that a benefit . Now don't get me wrong, I am all for warning people and educating people so they are capable of making educated choices, but your approach is quasi-fascist.

5) quote: "They are testing these conditions in lab rats, and these types of corporate studies have
forced and 'selective' results, in my opinion. Aspartame research is the proof of this! "
All research can be biased, as all research is funded and the funders usually have an agenda. You are being irresponsible by looking only at research which is biased against aspartame and other sweetners while ignoring the corporate research. Both should be considered before conclusions are drawn.
That said, splenda IS stable at high heats (meaning it doesnt break down in the body into harmful substances like aspartame does)... proof of this is the fact that splenda can be used for cooking and retains its sweetness perfectly (unless you burn the food but thats a different story ). Other sweetners do not do this, and often develop a funky taste or lose their sweetness. Ovens are much warmer than your body, wouldnt you agree? So if splenda can remain in tact after cooking... why would your body heat cause it to break down? Think much?

6) quote: "They said the same thing about aspartame, and look at the rampant disease and obesity
taking over America since aspartame was put into the food supply over 20 years ago. "
Correlation does not prove causation. The obesity epidemic is caused mainly by our food supply being bloated by an overabundance of highly refined sugars which leads to excess calorie consumption. The fact government subsidizes the grain industry has caused an over abundance of corn production. Corn derrived products are now extremely cheap, and our friend HFCS can be found in everything from fast food hamburgers (the rub/glaze) to cough drops. What this means is we have a huge supply of low quality food, for low prices. People, especially the poor (who fear being deprived to the point of over eating and also can't aford better) wind up making these foods the staple of their diets. The result is obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

All this has relatively little to do with aspartame, a sweetner which arguably few have had adverse reactions to.

7) quote: "Any animal that eats chlorine (especially on a regular basis) is at risk of cancer."
Good thing splenda isn't chlorine then. .

8) quote: "diarrhea from Splenda. "
I've never experienced this. Ever. The only problem with splenda I have found is that when eaten in excess (such as several tablespoons a day during holiday times in treats) I tend to get the surges of insulin I used to have with real sugar. However this could easily be attrubted to the dextrose and maltodextrin fillers they use to bulk the stuff up and not the splenda itself .

9) quote: "if the body is fed an indigestible product such as plastic (like
in margarine) that it is incapable of dissolving through normal digestion, it will pass through
undigested (if it doesn't get stuck in the gall bladder, that is.) So, if sucralose is indigestible
due to its laboratory compounding, then we have yet another serious health problem to consider,
don't you think? "
This is exactly what happens... the sucralose passes through undigested. I don't see why you think this is a health problem. Is fiber dangerous to your health then?

Enough of this silliness...