View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 14:20
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

When I added my workout times together, I counted time spent weight lifting and walking together because they are both exercise to me. I average around 690 minutes a week and that is sometimes on the low side. So I guess according to the poll I want to be a body builder. (As if anyone would want to be muscle bound and bulky)

My weighlifting times vary depending on how long I rest between sets. Because my goal is weight loss and not increasing muscle mass, my high rep range is 20 with less rest and lighter weights, and my low rep range is 15 with heavier weights and more rest.

It's a funny thing, some people hear the words light, medium and heavy when it comes to weights and immediately compare it to their own strength level. Some lifters probably wonder how can you get big muscles if you lift light weights? I try to remember that one persons light may be heavier than some others can even lift for one rep, so it's all relative to the person lifting the weights.

Besides there are various goals to lifting weights other than lifting to ones max using heavy weights all of the time.

When I walk and lift weights, I try to be conscious of working both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers so I feel like I got a good workout. Of course technically, according to the literature, to work fast twitch fibers you need to be sprinting or lifting heavy weights.