Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

All right - let's Fisk the idiot.

Quote:
If you traded your favorite breakfast cereal for steak and eggs in order to lose weight on a low-carbohydrate diet, you'll be in for a big disappointment.

Oh, yes, I do so miss those 45 lbs I lost.

Quote:
Sure, you can lose 5 to 10 pounds in a couple of weeks by eliminating bread, pasta, fruits, most vegetables, and dairy products -- just like the books say.

I gave up 2 vegetables - just 2, not "most" - corn and potatoes. I restricted beans and carrots. I eat MORE veggies now than I did before.

Quote:
But much of that weight loss will be water. And if you, like most people, fall off the program, the weight you regain will be fat and flab. "You start to look like the Michelin guy," says Dr. David L. Katz, director of the Yale Prevention Research Center in New Haven.

About 90 people at my office tried it. After one year, 3 fell off. One of those is getting back on it when her kid is born around 3/17/04. My boss's boss has lost 25 lbs on it so far, and her young son's seizures have abated.

Quote:
Carbohydrate reduction is the current "magic pill" for weight loss. Look on restaurant menus and supermarket shelves and you'll find an array of low-carbohydrate options.

It is getting better, yes, but high-carb products still dominate the shelves and the restaurants.

Quote:
Unless you work out, your body composition changes when you're on a high-protein, high-fat, and low-carbohydrate diet. Your body converts muscle to fat, according to Dr. Katz. And when you go off the diet and start to eat, the pounds come back as fat, not muscle.

ROFLMAO!

Quote:
And if that isn't enough, a low-carbohydrate diet can make you cranky. Eating carbohydrates helps increase serotonin levels, making you happier and more relaxed. Denying yourself carbohydrates may make you so irritable you self-medicate with cookies.

The "high" from ketosis is so great that it is used to ease the pain and depression of terminally ill patients - and sugar cancels that effect rapidly.

Quote:
Theoretically, low-carbohydrate diets have some positive potential. Learning to eat spaghetti by the cup, not the plateful, or skipping a daily doughnut should result in fewer weight problems. Unfortunately, many diets don't teach you to distinguish between high-fat refined carbohydrates and nutritionally superior ones.

So, one weak wannabe version of the diet kills them all? Can he even name this slacker? No, because there are none (that I've seen, anyway.)

Quote:
"Cheese doodles aren't the same as oatmeal. The notion of a carbohydrate as a single classification is ridiculous," says Dr. Katz, author of "The Way to Eat."Instead of slapping all carbohydrates with a negative label, nutritionists advise making better choices: Cutting back on white bread, and including more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables will help you lose weight, according to Marc O'Meara, a registered dietitian at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

I eat neither Doodles nor oatmeal, but if I had to eat one, I'd prefer the Cheese Doodles - more cheese in them, and I don't have to cover them with brown sugar and milk to make them palatable. And not all carbs slapped with a negative label - fiber rocks, for example.

Quote:
The reason is that the fiber in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables provides satiety. You feel full. When patients complain to O'Meara that they're hungry on a low-carbohydrate diet, he recommends adding either a slice of whole wheat bread or an apple to each meal.

Fat also provides satiety. Duh. I am rarely hungry on Atkins, and NEVER as hungry as I was ALL THE TIME on low-fat.

Quote:
"You don't have to choose white bread," says O'Meara. "Eating a whole-grain carbohydrate will get the serotonin levels up, too."

If that crap about serotonin were even remotely true, wouldn't white bread be MORE effective at raising serotonin because the carbs in it would hit your bloodstream more quickly and heavily?