View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 23:16
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

ok Karen... truth time. You can't let yourself not have a period for 3 months. You need to have at least 6 periods/year in order to keep your risk of cervical cancer "normal"... anything less than that, and you are asking for trouble.

I tried the pill, and could never tolerate it. I had break through bleeds, fainting spells, anemia, etc. What the doctor finally did was give me Provera. He told me if I didn't have a period for 2 months, to take it. I did, and my periods were controllable. Before that, I had the famous 27 day bleed. You have nasty periods because the lining just keeps building, so if you skip 6 periods, when you finally do have your period, you get 6 months worth of build-up.

Metformin and the LC diet is *The way* to go for both losing weight, and getting your periods back under control. I found that when I stayed under 25g/carb per day, and 1500mg of Metformin (no real exercise) that my periods started coming regularly within about 3 months.

You need to keep your eye on the prize: a baby. I was so motived to get pregnant, that I got in the "zone" and dropped 80 pounds in 8 months. It could have been more if I could have gotten some exercise, but I was working so much overtime, I couldn't fit it in.

So, call that doctor near you, get a prescription for Metformin. Tell him you want to get pregnant and that you've already lost 36 pounds. S/he will probably give you Clomid 50mg. It helps you pop extra eggs when you ovulate. You shouldn't take Clomid for more than 3 months, though. And... as an added bonus, many times, women with PCOS are "Clomid Resistant"... meaning, it won't even help you ovulate at all. If you fail to get pregnant on Clomid, that's when your husband's sperm count/motility/morphology should be tested.

Do you know where your health insurance stands on infertility treatments? Clomid is pretty cheap, I think it's about $30 for a month's supply.

I'm here for you, Karen. When I say I've "been there, done that"... I mean it really literally! I was 270 pounds when I got pregnant, so it CAN be done. After I had the boys (after gaining all the way back to 340 with the pregnancy) and I was home, I got on the scale: 265. After all was said and done, I was down an extra 5 pounds!! (unfortunately, I ate my way back to 333.... toast is just so easy to make!)

OK... I'm rambling! Let me know what the new doctor says!!

Big hugs,

Karen