View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 21:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks for posting that!

I'm not really surprised about his patients tho. I've been saying for a long time that the major increase not only in diabetes but the complications were made worse because of the ADA's looseness with carbs.

I've been a nurse for over 25 years. Back when I was in school and first working, all carbs were limited and refined carbs like flour and ALL sugars were severely restricted. Mr friend and I laugh about this all the time. a "sweet treat" for a diabetic back then was a 1 inch cube of angel food cake!

Fruits were limited and to be eaten with meals, no table sugar was allowed. Bread, rice, pasta, etc were allowed but in very small amounts and only with a meal.

BUT! We didn't see the complications we see now! The only time we saw an "adult onset" patient under 50 or so was someone with an extremely strong family history and a very poor diet. Patients with severe complications were patients that didn't follow their diet and/or take their insulin as directed.

I feel very strongly that diabetics in particular, should avoid carbs whenever possible.

I also agree with what he said about Atkins selling out with all their processed foods! How many times in his book does Dr Atkins specify that we should be eating natural foods?

I'd like to hear what he says on artificial sweeteners! I think I'll do a quick search on this guy, see if I can find anything.

NOW, we just need him to educate as many people as possible! Preferably other healthcare providers!