Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:44
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Atkins states it clearly "Calories do matter" You just don't have to count them. Instead he advocates eating until just satisfied not overfull, and eating when hungry.

LadyBelle is right - I think far too many people are mislead by the glossing over of calories that is somehow presented in the Atkins book - I've been at this forum for almost a full year and have watched as endless number people change their attitutude toward calories - the first pounds may (or may not) come off freely in the first few weeks of atkins - but after that a good percentage of people find that in order to continue losing they must count calories as well as carbs - for some people the high fat in Atkins helps them control their caloric intake - for others it does not. I suppose that there are some who have stayed at carb levels of 60 or less for years without ever going over the limit once, but I think that the normal pattern is to be infatuated with Atkins - stay as strict as you can, as long as you can - and then either a binge happens or switch to a plan with a higher more realistic carb allowence. The problem with the binge solution is that it is a repetitive pattern - it would be much healthier to consume around 100 GOOD carbs per day - than have 700 (maybe more) once a week.