View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 08:24
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, but your post brought up something that I've been playing with in my head and trying to figure out.....

I did a relatively clean two week induction (except for eating nuts) last spring. Then I tried some lc sweet treats, first with Atkins bars, then other sf candies, cakes, etc. Now the odd thing is, I never used to crave sweets. I was a Cheetos, potato chips, pretzels, fried food junkie. Never ate desserts. Occasionally got into a bad habit of eating ice cream late at night. I've never liked soft drinks. But otherwise, I couldn't have cared less about things with sugar in them.

So I honestly don't believe that I am a carbohydrate "addict". (Though I believe that many folks on this forum are.) As far as I can tell, I'm not especially insulin resistant. I've just always eaten too much food given the amount of physical activity in my daily life. Plus I've likely screwed up my metabolism by doing yo-yo diets throughout my life.

Now here's the puzzling part: I now have about 8 bags of Russell Stover sf or lc candy in my cabinet. I eat about one "serving" a day. It's not as though I "crave" chocolate.....It's much more of an emotional thing, I think. I can't have my beloved chips. So what am I going to "treat" myself with? One bite makes me feel as though I have done something "nice" for myself, and then I might eat the other half of the candy 4 hours later.

Have I become an artificial sweetener addict? Will I ever stop eating this stuff? (I do get tired of certain flavours/kinds after a while, and switch to something else.) I'm not so concerned about these hampering my weight loss as the fact that it seems silly to be eating something I never used to want. Plus they are not cheap. And it seems immature of me to be "rewarding" myself with candy.

It's all a substitute for the Cheetos, etc. I've tried to Atkins crunchers, Just the Cheese crackers, etc. and don't care for them. Sorry to have ranted on for so long here, but it's been in my head lately.

Kay