View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Low-carbohydrate diets fail because, like all fad diets, they do not deal with the underlying issues of being overweight, nor do they teach better lifelong eating habits.

Obviously, they have not read the book. Atkins, especially "Atkins for Life" goes deep into how maintain weight-loss for a lifetime. It is their diet and other Low-Fat diets that fail when it comes to weight maintnance. Anyone remember Weight Watchers and Slim Fast's Drop-Out Rates...I believe they were well over 50% if I remember correctly. Let's not even mention how many people have failed at Low-Fat diets overall. VIRTUALLY EVERYONE tried a Low-Fat diet in the 80s. The vast majority regained the weight [and more.] My Dad, Mom, and I have all tried Low-Fat. I can't even count the number of times my Dad reached his goal weight [on a Low-Fat Diet] only to regain it and more. I lost 22 pounds [and reached a desirable weight - 168 lbs] on a Low-Fat diet in 1997. By the end of 1997 [6 months later] I was back up to 193 pounds [3 pounds more than when I started.] After 1 year I had reached 219 pounds [+51 lbs in ONE YEAR.] At that time, I went on another Low-Fat diet. I lasted 2 months and lost about 12 pounds. By the end of 1998 [3 months after going off the 2nd diet,] I was back up to 242 pounds [+35 pounds in 3 months -- everything I'd lost plus an extra 23 pounds to keep it company.] 1 year after quitting my second LF Diet, I had reached 280 pounds [+73 pounds in ONE YEAR.] I tried a number of Low-Fat diets in the following 3 years with little to no success. Atkins is the first diet I've ever stayed on [and managed to lose weight] for more than 6 months. In fact I've been on Atkins for 13 months as of today and am down 100-110 pounds and 7-9 jean sizes.

Quote:
An important first step in advising patients who are already on a low-carbohydrate diet is to assess their readiness to question the merits of such diets.

In plain English: "Get them to quit, so we can claim Low-Carb is too restrictive, and thus prevent people from finding out we've been lying to them for the last 30 years."

Quote:
Questions remain about the possible association of low carbohydrate
diets with the risk of colon cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and hypertriglyceridemia.[/b

Hypertriglyceridemia ? Diabetes ? A Low-carb diet significantly lowers the risk of both of these. In fact, a low-carb diet is the best diet for a person with either of these conditions...As for the others, all have been proven false.

Quote:
[b]Each pound of body fat contains 3,500 kcal; therefore, a person who consumes 500 kcal less than he or she expends per day can lose only 1 lb of fat in 1 week. Any higher initial weight loss with ketogenic diets is therefore due to more severe caloric restriction or water loss rather than to fat loss.

You cannot lose more fat than your Caloric deficit. That is a fact. The problem is that the establishment refuses to accept that the body is not 100% efficient, and that it is possible to expend Calories other than through excercise. In fact, the very presence of Ketones in your Urine, Sweat, and Breath prove that more Calories are being expended. EVERY GRAM of Ketone you excrete is a loss of 13 kcal [9 kcal in the Ketone, plus the 4 kcal expended making the Ketones.] Excrete 10g of Ketones, and you have increased your Caloric Expenditure by 130 kcal. In addition, every gram of fat converted into Ketones requires the expenditure of 4 kcal. Assuming your body needs 2,000 kcal for its other needs, and all of that comes from Ketones, your body would have to break down 228g of Fat. Since you are consuming 20g of Net Carbs, it would only need 218g of Fat. To break 218g of Fat down into Ketones, the body must expend 872 kcal. That means Caloric Expenditure increases by 872 kcal. Of course, since you are also eating extra Protein, some of that will also be used for your body's needs, so the true Caloric Expenditure would be less than the 872 estimated, but would still be significant. If you expend an extra 1,000 kcal per day, you can lose 2 pounds [of fat] a week, even without decreasing Caloric intake.

Quote:
In 1980, 46% of US adults age 20 and older were overweight or obese; by 1999, the number had increased to 60%.1 This dramatic increase has coincided with several trends:

• Higher energy intake from larger portions at home and at restaurants (“super-sizing”)
• Greater consumption of high-fat foods
• Widespread availability of low-cost, goodtasting, energy-dense foods
• Decreased physical activity at work, at home, and during leisure time.

A growing national preoccupation with weight loss has accompanied these trends. At any given time, 44% of women and 29% of men are dieting,2 and Americans spend $33 billion a year on weight-loss products, programs, and pills.

As typical with Pro-LF/Anti-LC articles, it appears they made their comparisons of current intakes against those in the 1980s. You might wonder why this is relevant. Simple really...In the 1980s, the Low-Fat fad was at its height. Fat and Calorie intake were at their lowest point in modern history. In the last decade, fat and calorie intake have rebounded slightly from their 1980s lows. This allows LF Proponents to make the misleading claim that we are fat because we are eating more fat and calories. Compared to what people ate in 1911 and the 1950s/60s [when obesity and heart disease were far less prevelant,] fat intake has dropped significantly, calorie intake has dropped slightly, carb intake has increased significantly, and there isn't even a word to properly describe the increase in refined carb intake [which is up quite a bit.]

Quote:
The Ongoing Weight Loss Stage of the Atkins diet, for instance, limits carbohydrate intake to 20 to 40 g/day while allowing unlimited amounts of meat, cheese, poultry, fish, eggs, salt, and fats, a recommendation that overlooks the total (or almost total) inability of the human body to convert fatty acids to glucose, the primary source of energy for the human brain.

Not true...Atkins says to eat until satisfied. Fat cannot be converted to Glucose, but it can be converted to Ketones. Ketones CAN be used for energy by the Brain and most Organs. The few cells that cannot use Ketones, are able to derive the small amount of needed Glucose from the 20g of Carbs or from Protein.