View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 00:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Lower Back Pain and Other Muscular Aches

My husband and I have been following Atkins for 3 months now. We are currently on OWL, and eating around 30-40 grams of carbs a day. Ever since we started the diet, my husband has had muscular soreness, especially in his left arm. We know it is muscular because he can bring the pain on by moving it a certain way. He has changed the way he slept, he has tried keeping it immobile, but nothing helps.

He has also started having lower back pain about 2 weeks ago. Again, he has increased his walking to strengthen the area, we have tried heat and massage, but nothing seems to help. He feels it is the diet, and I am beginning to suspect he is right.

He had his annual physical one month ago, and was pronounced to be in perfect health, albeit fat (and with high cholesterol for the first time in his life *sigh*). The doctor feels that it is better that my husband lose the weight, but is suspicious of Atkins.

We have started taking calcium, magnesium, and potassium supplements as of last week, hoping that this would help. So far, he feels no different.

We have had some nice results from this diet, but we have also seen some odd things. Between his muscle pain and my hair loss, we are getting frustrated. I have searched on backaches and muscular pain on this website, and it seems this is not uncommon (this is where I got the suggestion for cal/mag & potassium).

If anyone has had similar problems and resolved them, I would appreciate advice. Thanks!

~~Amaara
Sponsored Links