View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 06:58

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I personally feel that the low carb products can be helpful.

1. To get rid of a craving.
2. To add variety.
3. To replace favorite foods in your diet.
4. To make this WOL livable especially once the weight has been lost

But, you still need to look at the whole picture. Anyone who uses all their carbs on LC carb replacements will skimp on the veggies which are needed.

Regarding taste and carb count. I have found substitutes with very few or zero carbs that taste great. I frequently find that mixing 2 or 3 products improves the taste. I use Carbsense zero carb bake mix; not Atkins. I also have a product called Wheat Protein Isolate which is flour with the carbs removed so it is all protein and fiber with 1 carb per cup. The 2 mixed together make a great breading for fried foods and everyone loves it including all the not LC people I serve it to including my children and grandchildren.

This 1/2 and 1/2 mixture makes great pancakes and for cakes I use 1/2 nut flour and 1/4 of each of the above. Works great and tastes great.

My bottom line is that whole foods are best but I know I am going to eat other things and better LC than high. I cook and bake a lot and have had my failures but now have a lot of really good things to replace all my old high carb favorites.

The result is that I really can live on this WOE forever; and intend to.