View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 15:44

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 194/188.9/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default ssri and weight gain

I used several types of anit-depressants and gained weight every time. Prozac was the worst offender in my case (i gained 30lbs on this) Now i am 186 from a weight of 147 two years ago. SSRI's have been a curse to me. I was depressed before but in my mind I think being more active and having a better diet would have went a long ways to cure it. Also while on Prozac i took up smoking again and began drinking hard liquor more often than ever before. So over the course of two years I gained 50 lbs (i was 194 at the start before LC) took up smoking again,began to drink heavily, and ate like crap. I had no control but I was numb to it all because of my medication. Now I am 5 months off it and feel great. Well...ok today I feel rotten but it is PMS time. I still do have my ups and downs but it is good. Low Carb definitley helps, I have quit smoking as of 4 months ago, I exercise and weight train most days. I have not lost as much weight as I would like. I think my metabolism was seriously affected by my rotten lifestyle and meds. Just a warning to consider before going on an SSRI...research about it...talk to your doctor...and of course this it not meant for those with serious depression or suicidal thoughts in that case the medication should come first. I think it is not an easy decision at all and I cannot say that in the future I will not need an SSRI i just will be aware that they are not a "miracle" cure all.