Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 15:26
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M
For example, if you lose 100 lbs, and of that 65% was fat (65 lbs) and 35% muscle (35 lbs), you have reduced your maintenance calorie level by 1750 calories.

Couple this with the fact that you are probably eating the same amount of calories as you did 100 lbs heavier, there is less of a difference in the energy equation Energy in (calories) = Energy out (maintenance + exercise)

I'm not eating the same number of calories I did when I was 100 pounds heavier. When I was 100 pounds heavier I ate three meals a day plus a couple of snacks. The meals I ate then were bigger than the meals I eat now. I have pretty much given up snacking except on days when I get more than an hour of exercise and I'm excessively hungry. Even 50 pounds ago I could snack on nuts and still lose weight; now I cannot. However, I am probably not eating 1750 calories less than I was 100 pounds ago -- I have no way of knowing for sure because I have never tracked calories. I try to listen to my body and only eat when it is hungry, and it is a lot less hungry than it was 100 pounds ago. I don't think I can go down to eating less than I am eating now without being ravenously hungry and I'm not willing to do that because I don't think I could sustain it and I would just end up binging and gaining the weight back. I'd rather maintain where I am now than do something that could potentially cause me to balloon back up again.

I do exercise a lot (brisk walking, swimming, hiking, some biking), and I exercise longer and harder than I did 100 pounds ago, but I don't do weights. Perhaps I should. As a 46-year-old woman who was raised at a time when girls never got near weights, I find them somewhat intimidating. I went through a training at my local YMCA on how to use their machines, but I found it totally overwhelming and never went back.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good book or video that might orient me toward free weights I could do in my basement? I think I would find that less overwhelming than trying to master 15 different machines at the Y.