View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 23:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I would like to respectfully disagree with the last two posts which seem to be suggesting that it is necessary to weigh and measure the amount of food you are eating. There is nothing in DANDR that suggests anyone needs to weigh and measure anything other than carbs. If someone is stalled out and having trouble losing weight, he or she may want to more carefully track foods and look at the ratio of protein/carbs/fat. IMHO, becoming obsessive about ratios is not necessary for MOST people. I have no idea what percentage of my calories come from fat/protein/carbohydrates and I don't care. What I do care about is that I am healthy, I have energy, I don't have food cravings, and I am losing weight.

Anyway, djcarbno was asking about eating steak, not some sort of pure protein powder, which is what rice_boi seems to be eating (whey protein isolate). I know the question was posed in terms of protein, but in fact steak (which is what the question was really about) is not a pure protein food. I can see how someone might have to get concerned about the quantity of protein they are eating if they are taking a protein supplement. I don't think the same concerns apply to someone who is getting their protein from real foods such as steak. Steak combines both fat and protein. Steak fills people up. Most people cannot eat enough steak to go over any sort of reasonable protein limit for the day.

Therefore, I don't think that djcarbo or anyone else has to worry about the amount of steak they are eating, as long as they stop eating when they are full. Obviously, if someone doesn't lose any weight for an extended period of time, they may want to more closely track their food. However, I would not recommend starting out that way.