View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 13:49
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

There has been a great deal of wisdom shared in this thread...not much I can add.

However, what is "realistic" for one person may be different for someone else. For ME (and your mileage may/will vary), a 95 pound loss in a year is not only realistic but medically sound IF I FOLLOW THE BASICS of any reasonable weight loss program.

How so? Hmmm. I have gone from a point of basically NO exercise last May to some limited exercise now. If I simply do a reasonable low carb food program (which I will) and do a minimum of 20 minutes of cardio a day (which I will) and some basic weight training (which I do)...the mathmatics of calories in vs calories burned compared against those needed to maintain my end of year goal weight point to this being a realistic goal FOR ME.

I am 53. I am not very active. I do follow a fairly sensible low carb program...one which I can follow easily over the course of a year...including celebrations, parties and the like.

So...setting reasonable goals: my food program is certainly doable. Due to old war wounds from 1969, I will never be able to do as much (pain-free) exercise as most...but it is in the exercise area in which my ability to meet my goal will be found. No. I don't have to do any ungodly regieme of exercise. I do, however, have to do the basics of my exercise program consistantly. I do have to grow with my program as I lose weight and am better able to carry my butt around on battered legs.

I figure I am worth it.

But I do agree wholeheartly that each person should set reasonable goals for themselves and what they know to be realistic and achievable. I do not think ANY person should shortchange themselves, however. Do what you KNOW is right. For you.