#8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Those are excellent suggestions quest.

Also, I would emphasize the importance of portion control and using calories as a guide to eating proper portions. I know part of his selling point making the program attractive is the fact we don't starve, and he wanted to make that clear (by banishing calorie counting), HOWEVER this has caused a lot of needless frustration and confusion for some dieters.

Some people actually believe you can eat as much as you want and not gain weight , or even actually lose weight so long as you are sticking to the allowed foods and in your "ketosis" safe zone. I think if you only had read the DANDR, and took everything very literally, you could arrive at that conclusion. The fact the book opens up with false/misleading advertisements like saying "imagine a huge smorgasbord in front of you full of healthy veggies and meats, and eating to your hearts content" certainly does contribute to this misconception.

So, if I could revise the DANDR, the first thing I would change is to omit that opening passage and replace it with something more truthful but still conveying the desired message (instead of making it sound like you will gorge on atkins, stress the fact that you will eat satisfying food in responsible portions while never starving and still lose weight). Also, I would advocate the usage of calorie counting as a guide if you find yourself on a plateau. Many people plateau on atkins, but if you ask these people how many calories they are eating they will give you a blank stare since they believe calories are unimportant... it's just not true, calories do count, and some people (especially habitual/emotional eaters like me) need to watch them.