View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 04:12

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I pretty much keep it to myself, but now that I'm 40 lb lighter and my face has thinned, a lot of my co-workers noticed and asked how I did it. My next door neighbor even asked if I was sick, hahaha. I'll tell you the truth - all of them were curious how I did it, and none of them were critical. They were impressed, because the results speak for themselves, after all.

To be perfectly honest, I found all the attention to be embarrassing, because I'm a bit of an introvert.

What is *very* discouraging is that my family (in-laws) are very unsupportive and extremely negative about *any* kind of diet. We spend a lot of time with them, so it's an ongoing issue that keeps coming up. You also can't hide the fact that you are doing LC from your spouse.

I regularly get comments from my wife about not eating enough food, that it's OK to have a potato, and questions like "when am I going to start eating normal again?" She must pay closer attention to what I eat than I do! And it's not because she's worried about my health - it's something else... it's the weight. Her whole family is way overweight. And now I'm not.

I don't make a big deal about this WOE, but her family does. If I decline something that is served, or if I have a salad at the restaurant instead of some massive meal, a big conversation starts about how I eat. It pretty much sucks because I have several obese people (with attendant health problems) ganging up on me and my eating habits. I don't try to justify myself or point out the issues of *their* eating habits - I just try to get the subject changed as quickly as possible!

On the bright side, at least they haven't yet ridiculed the fact that I exercise and no longer drink

So to answer your question, no, I *don't* think it's weak to not let anyone know you are LC. If they ask you point-blank, tell them the truth - lying about it will make you less of a person. Beyond that, I wouldn't find it necessary to tell anyone. After all, you have this forum to discuss things with like-minded people, right?