Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laczkoskie
Dina, was it difficult to make cottage cheese? Have a recipie? I have always wanted to try to make this but never attempted it.

it was a while since i've made one, actually more than 10 years. I've used to make it from unpasturized milk (not sold in US), it's easy and healthier.we used to get milk from the local farm back then, so it was pretty safe to use it nonpasturized. you just let milk sit on a counter for 24 hours or until it naturally churns, making it thick and yougurt like. then i'd put it on a water bath, placing pot with churned milk in a bigger pot with hot water, and keep it on a very low heat. as soon as whey has separated, take it out and let it cool completely, better refrigerate. this way it yelds more cottage cheese. once completely cold, i used to make triple cheese close bag. put the content in the bag and hang it over the sink until remaining whey drains. BTW, don't throw all whey, it's very healthy to drink on a hot day, add some mint and some ice. i used to make buckwheat pancakes with whey in-lieu of milk, taste delicious and has fewer carbs.
anyway, cottage cheese is ready depending if you like it softer or dry curd. the major point, don't overheat, otherwise it will be too dry. i'd say that it yeilds about 2 pounds of cotage cheese from a bit more than gallon of milk (5 Liters).
since there is no unpasturized milk in supermarket, you have to add either live cultures or some yougurt or sourcream to pasturized milk first, and let it churned. the rest is the same. it makes it more complicated, and i've never made it this way.
good luck,
dina