#6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

The meter that is recommended by Dr.Bernstein's office is
the Bayer Ascensia Elite XL. I called his Office in December and it is the one they have been recommending for years because of the quality control of the strips . they said any Bayer "elite" model is recommended.

The Elite XL can be downloaded into your computer from the meter using a optional cable that can be bought from Bayer for $29.95 here and the software can be downloaded for free here.

Using the software and cable gives you all kinds of control over your meter and the software can display and print an abundance of info.

I haven't got the cable yet so I just input readings manually. It a little bit of a pain but It works.
I'll be ordering the cable today or tommorow.

I will admit the meter and strips are a little pricy But the meter cost $65 and has a $45 rebate plus $20 off coupon for strips with it.

I bought a new one last month when my pharmacist told me that the new ascensia strips would not work in my old Bayer elite model. After getting home with the new one I programed my old meter with the new strips and checked it against the new meter and it was dead on with the new meter on every test.
I'll be sure my pharmacist hears about this so he doesn't make someone else spend money for a new meter they don't need.(I'll admit I did want the XL model from the beginning)
I hope this helps
Good luck and Happy New Year

Kevin