View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Have to applaud you for reaching the decision to begin a running program! I was in your shoes 9 months ago, and am happy to say it was one of the best decisions I've made in the last 10 years.

I wanted to add a regular cardio-exercise program to my lifestyle, but one that didn't require a major $$ investment or joining a gym (taking time away from my family). Though I hated running during high school/college, I have found it to be very enjoyable and rewarding now (age 35).

I started simply by going to Oshman's and buying a decent pair of running shoes (about $75). My first run was about 2/10 of a mile around the block. Within a week I got up to half a mile, and just kept adding small increments from there. The rule is to add no more than 10% distance to your longest run each week.

After 6 months I ran in my first 5K race of my life, and am now training for my first half-marathon (translates to a 20k race). I train by running 6 miles every other day.

And by the way, I've stayed on the LC WOE the entire time. (though I do find on the day of my run that I can get away with eating the hamburger bun or an occasional piece of cheesecake and still lose weight!)

Good luck!