Old Thu, Dec-25-03, 14:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginepe
Thanks "Atkins4myW" for the data but a little spooky to think I have to start counting calories. I think I'll just cut off the sugar alcohols, keep walking and see what happens.

You probably don't have to count calories. However, most of us reach the point where, once we have lost a fair amount of weight, we need to be a little more conscious of portion size and the frequency with which we are eating.

I would definitely cut out the sugar alcohols and focus on getting the calories you need from whole, healthy foods. You mentioned you are eating the Russell Stover lowcarb candies. If you read the label, they contain transfats (partially hydrogenated oil) -- a definite "NO" from Dr. Atkins.

I think it comes down to whether you just want to lose weight or to both lose weight and improve your health. If improving your health is part of your goal, then in my opinion artificial foods (such as sugar alcohols, Splenda, etc.) should have a very small or non-existent role in your life-style, but exercise should have a big role. It's getting easier and easier to eat lowcarb junk food, and some people successfully lose weight doing so, but I personally don't think it is a good idea. Even if you are primarily interested in your appearance, you'll look better if you are healthier.