Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up hi Kim

Quote:
Originally posted by kkhlavinka
I have been having headaches and am considering increasing my carb intake. Weird thing is that I have been very careful about the carbs
Atkins recommmends staying at Induction level for only two weeks. You seem to have achieved ketosis just fine, so upping the carbs would be a good idea. The recommended method is to increase your carb intake by 5 grams per day for a week, then another 5 gm per day for the second week, etc...... until you are no longer consistently in ketosis, ie, two or three days in a row. Then, you go back to the carb level of the previous week that you WERE in ketosis, and that is the level you should stay at for Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL). You may find your OWL level at 30 carb gms (typical for most women), or more or less. Our bodies are all different.

On the subject of headaches, since you are in ketosis, as you can tell by the test strips (and the lovely, tasty breath .. ) make every effort to DRINK UP!! Flush those babies out of your system! Of course, pure, plain water is the best, at least 6 to 8 cups a day over and above whatever else you drink. A few folks cannot or do not like to drink water, so make sure to drink, drink, drink lots of calorie and carb-free liquids. COFFEE is NOT carb-free. Some of the "herbal" teas/ tisanes might be a better choice.

STress and worry, of course, make yer head pound too. Pamper yourself, and don't expect to lose 30 lbs. overnite. You'll do fine in the long run.
Quote:
I am eating and am still having a problem staying in ketosis. My weight dropped three pounds in the first three days and has not move for the last three weeks.
It is perfectly normal for the level of ketosis to fluctuate from day to day, and even at different times during the same day. And women will often have differen levels depending on the time of the month. Many lowcarbers only test once a day, at the same time. First thing in the morning is the LEAST accurate, while late afternoon/early evening is MOST accurate (because of increased activity and fat-burning).

About your weight loss, unfortunately women often have a tougher time shedding lbs, and you sound quite petite to start with, so double-whammy! .. .. Stick with it. How are your clothes fitting? Are they a little looser? And what does the measuring tape say? The scales don't tell the whole story. I've posted some articles on Weight Loss Stalls and Plateaus. Please check them out http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html While you're there, also check out the section on Hidden Carbs, you might find some surprises! You might be eating more carbs than you think.

Don't be discouraged, you'll do fine. Stick with it, and keep us posted on your success!

Doreen