View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%
Default Dr. Phil bashing Atkins--pi$$ed off

Ok, so I was enjoying some bacon and LC toast this morning and decided to turn on the TV. And there is Dr. Phil with his new "weight loss booty camp" show on. He then introduces his guest, a woman who wants to lose weight and has tried everything.
Dr. Phil then goes on to say that the low carb "fad" diet is very dangerous. They go to the clip (like they always do, with the guest talking about themselves) and she describes how she nearly died from Phen Fen, had to have her gall bladder removed, etc, but mentions NOTHING about low carb.
Then Dr. Phil mentions that she has tried low carb and she just says "yes" and nothing else about it.
I think that by mentioning low carb and then showing that scary video and then mentioning low carb again, they were trying to subconsciously get the idea that low carb is really bad into people's minds.
They had an "expert" dietician on and she was bashing low carb as well. Get a load of what she said: (not a direct quote) Low carb yo yo dieting causes dehydration and therefore the weight loss is from water, NOT actual fat loss.
Dr. Phil agrees and then he says--GET A LOAD OF THIS--the brain needs 500 calories from carbohydrates to function properly!!!
Then they go through this lady's pantry and say eliminate high fructose corn syrup, white flour, etc.
Seems like they are promoting lower carb and low fat foods.
For example, they suggested soy milk and whole oatmeal for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and chicken with asparagus for dinner. Sounds like low carb high protein to me. The only difference is the fat.

Sorry to vent guys, but I like Dr. Phil and respect him and this really pissed me off. Ignorance is one of the worst things in this world. This is not a fad diet, it has been around FOREVER. I'm going to write an email telling him off.
Sponsored Links