View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Here is what the author wrote back to me...

Dear Frank,

I totally agree about the carbs and sugars, particularly processed foods containing bleached white flour. I think the healthiest way to eat is to eat "close to the ground"... if it walked on the ground, came from something that walked on the ground or grew from the ground (in its whole form), it's a better choice. I like Jack LaLane's saying: If a man made it, don't eat it. Good strategy to follow, if you ask me.

My personal food pyramid has vegetables on the bottom, and processed carbs up at the top. I avoid carbs like the plague. In fact, nothing will make me ill faster than a donut. I'm shaking within a half hour. But I still can't swallow that high fat angle. We'll see in a few decades if all the Atkins groupies have healthy hearts.

And... evolutionarily speaking, roots, nuts and plants figured highly in human diets in addition to meat. There's a reason why we don't have teeth like carnivores. Or herbivores.... we need a balance.

I'm familiar with the Atkins theory, and to some extent, I mimic it. But I don't eat high-fat meats, I choose low-fat meats, nuts, eggs and fish.

Thanks for taking the time to read my column and to write.

Happy Holidays!
Debra